God bless you! Health insurance for the children in Hope Home

What is a matter of course for us in Germany is pure luxury in Tanzania: We are therefore overjoyed that we at Weltherz die were able to insure Hope Home children for the next 12 months!

When we visited the Hope Home in September 2018 hatten we already made preparations by our World Heart members Denise and Nina. We have clarified which benefitsen are covered by health insurance from the date of conclusion and which are only covered from second year. Even physiotherapy, radiological examinations, vision tests, glasses and dental care are part of the health insurance. Unfortunately, dental prophylaxis is not included. It is very important especially in children to prevent tooth damage and pain.

as soon as we uns then decided for NHIF health insurance, had to we the children anmelden – with registration form and oner copy of birth certificate. For former street children not an easy task! Here were some authorities courses necessary to get the requested replacement documents.

We thank all World Heart donors who made this medical coverage possible! Now the Hope Home does not have to worry about future pneumonia of the children – as Pastor had it in July 2018 – at least financially. In the next step, Weltherz would also like to enable Sarah and Joseph to have health insurance. They give the children in Hope Home every minute of their time and should not fail.

The Tanzanian Health System

Dhealth insurance (National Health Insurances Fund) exists in Tanzania only ssince 2001. Zubefore medical care was free. Due to the lack of personnel and medication, the state was no longer able to provide free medical care to the population but .

The health care system is state-run and, like other administrative levels, is structured hierarchically. At the top of Pyramid-liken Structures are four Consultant Hospitals that follow international standards. Unfortunately, they can hardly serve as reference hospitals due to the inadequate infrastructure and communication possibilities. For these few central and main hospitals, which reach approx. 10% of the population, 85% of health expenditure is used. The other 15% are spent on care of 90% of the population. For more information, see hier.

Luckily there are some hospitals near the Hope Home. It is exactly between the tourist strongholds Arusha, the starting point for safaris, and Moshi, the starting point for Kilimanjaro mountain tours. In addition to tourists, you can also see some “white” doctors working in the hospitals on the streets. Malaria, transmitted by a female mosquito bite, is particularly common in Tanzania. Approx. 60,000 Tanzanians die annually from the consequences of malaria , in children sie the most frequent cause of death . HIV/AIDS is also widespread.

medicine of poverty

The Reasons why Western healthcare systems do not auf Developing countries like Tanzania transmittable are, are versatile:

  • Western medicine is expensive, therefore the cost-benefit ratio is not sustainable.
  • There is no qualified m personnel who can adequately operate the high-end medical devices.
  • The western understanding of disease does not take into account the traditional, spiritual conception of the natives.
  • The focus must not be on curative medicine, but on prevention, since the majority of diseases, such as Diarrhoea or Malaria, can be prevented by appropriate prevention kann.
Data privacy   |  Imprint  |  Statute